Josephine's Dream Reading

Josephine's Dream Reading
Trying to look like Josephine Baker - and failing miserably!

Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls
Conquering the Beast

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Hospital Tales

I spent a couple of days in hospital this month. It wasn't much fun (the food was like airplane food used to be, in the days when they actually fed passengers). However, I met some very dedicated and smart nurses and doctors. Two nurses in particular stood out as possible characters for a story. Yes, even on my bed of pain, and despite having to take pills that made me feel woozy, my mind was at work. Parts of it, anyway.
There was one very intelligent, brisk, and efficient, but quite funny, young nurse. She was training another nurse who was obviously new in that ward. He was doing his best to follow all her instructions - and doing very well. He too had a sense of humour. Nurse Bossy-Boots and her trainee nurse made a good team. And they helped me to feel better.
When I got home, and my mind was a bit clearer - no more pills dulling my brain - I came up with a funny story of a little girl who has to decide what she wants to be when she grows up. Of course, she eventually decides to become a nurse. I wrote the story the day after I arrived home and did a couple of re-writes after that. Naturally, if I ever want to have it published I'll need a couple of extra re-writes at home, followed by more of the same if a publisher accepts it. But for now I'm simply sending it as a thank you gift to the nursing staff at the hospital. Don't worry, I already sent a thank you card to my surgeon. I didn't think of a story about him, but give me time. He might show up one day as a character in another book. As I said before 'It's all material.'

No comments:

Post a Comment