Josephine's Dream Reading

Josephine's Dream Reading
Trying to look like Josephine Baker - and failing miserably!

Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls
Conquering the Beast

Monday, December 29, 2008

Read!

When your words just won't come, read someone else's. I must admit that I'd done so much writing and re-writing lately that I've been feeling a bit like an empty jug. I need time to fill up with creative juices.
I'd left my novel for a while, to do a bit of writing on another story. Then I had some inspiration for something I'd been playing around with for a few years. I'd wanted to write a short play for children based on one of my books. No matter how hard I tried, nothing seemed to work. Then yesterday the idea came to me, along with the notion, 'Keep it simple.' I'd been making it much too complicated. But between all that writing I was reading a murder mystery, just for fun. Now I've finished that and it's time to move on to something else.
Yesterday afternoon I read 'Screaming Mummies of the Pharaoh's Tomb II', by James Howe. It's a very funny children's book. Now I'm reading 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard,' by J.K. Rowling. I like the fairy and folk tale genres. I like to write in that style sometimes. You should try it, by the way. It's a good writing exercise.
If you don't mind a reading challenge there's a series of books that date back to the 1920s which I find very funny and clever. It's the 'Just William' series by Richmal Crompton. You might have to order them, or go to a library. The one I have in front of me is 'William the Pirate.' It was first published in 1932, but the humour still works beautifully today. It's just that the writing style is not as simple as the styles we are used to these days. Anyway, I think the whole series has been re-printed. Give it a try.
Finally - I'm not a fast reader. I'm a very slow reader. Maybe you are too. Who cares? Just read at your own speed and enjoy - while you fill up with creative juices.

No comments:

Post a Comment